There’s no better way to personalise your space than by using decorative artworks by your favourite artists, or a favourite print/canvas that caught your eye. Artwork that you choose to display in your home can say a lot about you, however it can also add a lot of interest to an interior and really life a room if you get a piece position well and complementing the rest of your chosen items in a space.
When identifying pieces for your rooms there are a few things that you should keep in mind:
• Consider the relationship of all the elements in a room and how your artwork will complement this
• Resist the urge to add artwork to every wall. Depending on your furniture placement not every wall will need a piece or a grouping, choose one or two walls to hang your artwork on
• Choose the style of art, colour, and texture (if applicable) carefully, and again keep in mind the rest of the design within your room. For instance if you already have items in the room creating a lot of texture you may want to balance this by choosing something a little flatter for your artwork, and vice versa
• Keep scale and size in mind, don’t be afraid to fill a wall rather than choosing a small piece that gets lots in a space
• You can use artwork to make a space feel bigger, avoid large graphic prints and use smaller blocks of colour and keep the palette lighter
• Bring in decorative objects on shelving and sit them alongside smaller pieces of artwork leant on the shelving, this will create a lovely arrangement of personalised artwork
• For how to hang several pieces of art in the same area, refer back to my previous blog post Photo Gallery – https://www.anoushkaallum.com.au//2012/07/02/photo-gallery/.
Most of all have fun when choosing art. It doesn’t need to be too serious and you don’t need to spend thousands. Get creative by ordering your favourite artists print from a poster store online and have this beautifully framed. Alternatively there are many stores and online suppliers now that produce fantastic canvas pieces that make a lovely addition to any home, you could even have some of your favourite photos transferred to canvas and really make it your’ own.
Please share your gallery walls in your homes, feel free to comment below or email me.