Guest bedrooms are always the last room in a home to be decorated. I don’t know why this is as we all have guests to stay from time to time and if we are keen decorators we want to make sure our guests feel welcome in our home. So this needs to extend past the main living areas. There’s nothing worse than your guests sleeping on an old lumpy mattress, or the room being dressed in cast off’s from years ago. Don’t let your guest bedroom be a dumping ground for all of the furniture pieces you no longer have space for in other rooms in your home.
It doesn’t take much to make a space like this feel welcoming, but it will require some investment of your time and money. Here are some top tips:
- Ensure that you have the essentials, a place to store clothes, a comfy bed with fresh pillows and bed linens, a surface to place personal items on.
- A reading or bedside light is super important, have you ever stayed in a guest room and had to get our of bed to turn off the stark overhead light before going to sleep? Not a welcoming feeling.
- Give thought to the design for this space, chose calming colours for a restful nights sleep such as greens and blues and coordinate everything in from bedside lights to your bedlinen, throws and towels.
- Layer your bed linen, if it’s winter ensure there is an extra blanket to hand, and in summer use thinner sheets and duvets.
- Ensure you have artwork on the walls, decorative pillows on the bed and a rug on the floor if the room isn’t carpeted, this will instantly make the room feel welcoming.
Just before your guests arrive:
- Place 2 rolled up clean towels on the bed ready for your guests arrival.
- Add a small vase of fresh cut flowers.
- Place a jug of water and an upturned glass on the bedside
- Ensure that you leave basic toiletries to hand for their morning shower
Do all of this and your guests will think you are the best host and won’t want to leave!